Korean Language Placement Test 2020-2021
Who needs to take the Korean placement test?
- Students who want to use Korean to satisfy the Weinberg and the School of Communication’s two-year foreign requirement.
- Students who have prior exposure to Korean at home.
- Students who have prior knowledge in speaking, listening, reading or writing of Korean and want to study Korean at Northwestern.
- Students who have come back from study abroad and need to be placed into the appropriate level of Korean.
- Students who have transferred from other universities and continue to take Korean at Northwestern.
The above apply to all students in all schools and programs, including graduate and professional schools.What does the Korean placement test look like?
There are two forms in the placement test: Online test and Validation test.
- The online placement test consists of four sections: vocabulary, grammar, reading and listening.
- The validation test consists of two parts: writing and oral interview.
- The online test http://placement-test.mmlc.northwestern.edu/ will be only available at the designated time and dates. You can choose a best time for you.
Monday, August 24, 2020, 9:00 – 11:00 am or 3:00 – 5:00 pm CST or,
Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 9:00 – 11:00 am or 3:00 – 5:00 pm CST or,
Wednesday, August 26, 2020, 9:00 – 11:00 am or 3:00 – 5:00 pm CST or,
Thursday, August 27, 2020, 9:00 – 11:00 am or 3:00 – 5:00 pm CST, or
Friday, August 28, 2020, 9:00 – 11:00 am or 3:00 – 5:00 pm CST
Once you enter the test, you have to finish it within 2 hours since you cannot enter it again and you are allowed to take the test only once. The online test result will initially show as “Validation Required” on the same test site since the validation test is required to complete the placement process.
- The validation test (writing and speaking) will be offered via Zoom, and you will be assigned either of the following dates.
Tuesday, September 1, 3:00– 5:00 pm CST Or
Wednesday, September 2, 3:00 –5:00pm CST
Be sure to bring a picture ID to the test, and have your Northwestern ID handy at the Zoom meeting.Special note
The placement result is valid for one year.Placement for winter 2021: By appointment only.
Please contact Dr. Ihnhee Kim (email@example.com), the Korean placement coordinator.
Back to top